For the last five years, you could pretty much list a property on the market in any condition and have it sell. That is no longer the case, which means you need some tips.
Tips For Property Sellers
In recent years, selling a property was a breeze. As long as the structure was in any kind of decent shape, you could expect offers to rain down when it hit the market. Sometimes, you would close the sale before the property ever hit the market! To say it was a sellers market is a slight understatement.
As was inevitable, the real estate market has cooled off a bit. From a historical perspective, it is still red hot although not as hot as the last few years. As a seller, this means you need to start focusing on the fundamentals of selling your property. The following tips should get you focused.
Purchasing a property is an emotional decision. To this end, you need to position yours to captivate potential buyers. In this case, this means giving it a makeover. For instance, you should:
1. Cut back the forest in your garden.
2. If your landscaping isn’t that great, spend the money on new plants to make it look appealing. The buyer has to see themselves living in the property, so make it a paradise.
3. Clean the roof and fix any loose shingles, etc. Buyers and appraisers always look at roofs closely.
4. Clean up any paint issues on the interior of the property including behind doors, in closets and so on. This may sound odd, but buyers will look in every little cranny.
5. Clean up any paint issues on the exterior of the property. Obvious spots include the sides of the home and behind any plants that sit up against the wall.
6. Clean your driveway and garage floor. Nasty oil spots take away from the appearance of your gem. A super clean driveway and garage floor is a sign of a seller that has made a major effort to maintain the property, a factor buyers will view very favourably.
7. Finally, register with your local estate agent and get your property listed for sale. A vast majority of buyers now surf the web looking for their dream residence. If your property isn’t listed, they will not see it.
At the end of the day, all of the above boils down to one real theme. What would you look for if you were out shopping for a property? Make a list and then analyse your property with an eye towards those items.